After a long wait, here is my completed NKL-26 Aerosan from Trumpeter. I ran into some "technical difficulties" just after finishing the model, in the form of a broken camera, so I had to wait a while before posting this while I waited for the camera to get fixed.
I made some small modifications to the kit, but nothing too complex: I swapped out the seat for a more detailed one, and added some wires to the pulleys that make up the steering system. I also added re-enforcement ribs to the inside of the vehicle to correspond with the exterior ribs. A few small wires were added to the underside of the dashboard as well.
The front plate and skis were made of steel on the real vehicle, so I weathered them a little differently, for contrast.
I tried to make each ski look a little different from the next, to keep things interesting. The one on the front left looks a bit too yellow for my taste, but I've moved on to bigger and better things and don't feel like fixing it.
Once painting was finished, I cut small sections of steel tubing into 2-2.5mm segments and sprinkled them around the interior to represent spent shells from the DT machine gun. They're much too large, but they get the idea across, I think. I also sprinkled in a few seeds from my yard that resemble miniature oak leaves. I glued them in using small blobs of white glue.
I did my best to get a shot of the interior, but it's really tough. This is as good as it's gonna get, I'm afraid.
The icicles are stretched clear sprue, attached using CA glue. The CA glue was painted on with an old brush to make the otherwise smooth icicles a little irregular in shape. Thanks to John Steinman for sharing this technique!
Stunning, simply stunning.ReplyDelete
VERY nicely done. Some amazing details. I really like the ice you have added on the real. It looks really realistic...ReplyDelete
I don't understand something. Why doesn't anybody see that the propellers in the kit are wrong ? I bought this kit yesterday and it was the first thing I noticed, maybe because I'm used to building airplanes. I'll explain, on the leading edge of the prop there's a strip of metal, so the prop has to turn with the metal in the wind. If one would do this with this vehicle it will glide backwards. If you turn the prop in the other direction, it will have no efficiency at all. I can't find anywhere on the internet somebody who commented on this.ReplyDelete
Ha! A very interesting point, Pascal! I never noticed this... like you said, maybe it's just that tread-heads like me don't notice "airplane" details as readily as you did. Surely you're impressed with the Trumpeter kit's engine, right? The detail is pretty impressive for a plastic kit.Delete
Maybe that's why there isn't a crew member on my model... perhaps his error was disovered by the division's Politruk and he was sent to mine salt in a Gulag for being a defeatist wrecker and enemy of the people. ;-)
Thanks for the feedback!
Great job. I am working on one now. Can you clue me in on the interior interior/exterior colors you used.ReplyDelete
Great work! I've just come to the engine now and have a question: How did you clean up the cooling fins? They look great!ReplyDelete
The engine is quite an intricate sub-assembly... take your time ;-)
I cleaned up the cooling fins one of two ways (It's been almost five years since I finished this already, and I can't believe it): I either
1) Used the corner of a triangular steel file to gently remove the seam from the recessed areas of the fins one at a time, or
2) Used a hobby knife/Xacto blade/Scalpel/sharp thing to remove the seam by rocking it back and forth along the length of each seam along the grooves in the cooling fins.
Hope that makes sense; otherwise let me know and I'll try to clarify!
Regarding the steel files, I would have used the one that is on the left of center in this photo: http://s3.showmecables.com/images/catalog/product/5-Piece-Miniature-File-Front.jpg